Sunday 3 July 2011

SONG OF THE WEEK #18: Honeybus - "(Do I Figure) In Your Life"



Honeybus are now largely forgotten. And if someone somewhere somehow still remembers them, it’s probably because of their Pete Dello-penned UK hit “I Can’t Let Maggie Go” (1968). Fantastic song, no doubt about that, but if anything, their previous single was even more fantastic.

It’s called “(Do I Figure) In Your Life” (also by Dello) and it takes my vote for the greatest pop single of all time. Gorgeously sung and full of those affecting, poignant strings, it gives me a delightful heartbreak every time I play it. Here is this song in glorious vinyl – which is how I first heard it, back in 2003.

Also, contrary to general belief, Honeybus were not merely a singles band. In fact, their 1970 LP Story is quite on par with such precious pop classics as Odyssey & Oracle and Walk Away Renee/Pretty Ballerina. No joking.  






No comments:

Post a Comment